Guatemala has one of the highest illiteracy rates and lowest school enrollment rates in Latin America. This is because the cost of education is prohibitively expensive. You can help fight this by sponsoring a child to be able to go to school.
Receiving an education is one of the most significant and sustainable ways in which children can improve the standard of living for themselves and their families. Mayan Families is dedicated to promoting education within the communities we serve. Over 2,500 students are currently sponsored to attend school. These children would not have the opportunity to go to school without a sponsor.
Student Sponsorship through Mayan Families provides students with:
- Enrollment fees
- School uniform
- Backpack and school supplies
- T-shirt and shorts for gym
- Monitoring of their school work and progress by a social worker
- Access to the Mayan Families Medical Clinic
- Graduation costs when required
- General educational support where needed
As a sponsor you will receive:
- A detailed profile of your child and their living situation
- Regular updates on their school results and report card (five to six times a year)
- The ability to write and connect with your sponsored student and their family.
- Regular photo updates on your child’s school progress and when they receive donations
Sponsorship Fees for 2013
Students from pre-school to high-school: $360/year
Students attending university: $1,250/year
*These fees reflect full payment of a donor to sponsor one student for the year. Alternative payment options are available including:
- Monthly payment of $30/month (school) or $105/month (university)
- Co-sponsorship where the cost of sponsorship is shared with another donor (we take responsibility for seeking out the other donor) so your fees are limited to $15/month (school) or $53/month (university)
In Guatemala the school year runs from January through October. We accept support for school sponsorship throughout the year.
Please also view our FAQ section if you have more questions on the Student Sponsorship Program.