Thursday, June 30, 2016
10 Fundraising Ideas that will really #BringtheChange this Summer
Written by Erin Crandell, Communications and Marketing Director
School is out for the summer, but that is no reason to let your creativity fall by the wayside! There are plenty of easy ways to make the most of your summer and #BringtheChange with Mayan Families.
1. Cookout for a Cause: Take advantage of the barbecuing weather and host a cookout for Mayan Families. Invite your friends and family and ask for either a food contribution or a donation at the door. You will be surprised how many people will do both!
2. Lemonade Stand: Don’t knock the traditional lemonade stand. With a little bit of preparation, a lemonade stand or a bake sale is a great way to fundraise!
3. Summer Fun Run/Walk: Get outside and get moving! Make a small entry cost, or encourage people to fundraise for the run. And don’t forget to hand out a popsicle or cool drink at the end to keep everyone cool.
4. Clean out your closet: If you didn’t get around to spring cleaning, summer is the perfect time to sort through those things in your house that you don’t need anymore and hold a yard sale. Even with keeping prices low, the proceeds will add up!
5. Set up a booth: Set up a stand at your farmer’s market or community event, and spread the word about Mayan Families! Have a donation box nearby if people are eager to donate, and make sure that you have flyers on hand. You can even set up a computer and have videos playing!
6. Screen a Film: Do you know anyone who still hasn’t seen Living on One Dollar? Introduce your friends and family to Rosa, Chino, Anthony, and the rest of the community of Peña Blanca for an eye-opening look at life in rural Guatemala. Set up a suggested donations box at the entrance for people who are inspired to give.
7. Play a Concert: Do you or someone you know have musical talent? Those cool summer evenings are the perfect time to play for a cause. People will gladly pay an entrance fee for a night of music and making a difference.
8. Host a Tournament: Summer is a great time for sports, and a tournament with a small entry fee per team is a great way to get people involved. It doesn’t have to be high-stakes, it could just be a bocce ball or badminton, as long as it gets people active and having fun!
9. Partner with a Local Business: Host a night at your local bar or restaurant where a percentage of the fees go to Mayan Families. That way you are supporting local businesses and Mayan Families at the same time!
10. Challenge Yourself: Have you ever wanted to run a 5k? Climb a mountain? Do a bike race? Use #BringtheChange as your motivation, and set a challenge for yourself. Ask your friends and families to support you with donations, and test your limits!
The biggest thing is to be creative! The best fundraising ideas always appear when you find that perfect blend of an activity that you are interested in and a cause that you are passionate about.
Join the #BringtheChange team on Classy today. Getting started is easy.
Let us know what you did to #BringtheChange this summer!