Guatemala has one of the highest illiteracy and lowest school enrollment rates in Latin America, primarily due to the high cost of attending school which prevents many indigenous families from receiving an education.
We strongly believe that a good education is the key to breaking the cycle of poverty and can create a better future for children and their families. That is why we promote education in each of the communities by facilitating sponsorships for thousands of students who otherwise would not have a chance to attend. When we invite you to sponsor a student, we are inviting you to invest in the future of Guatemala, one child at a time.
How sponsorship works
For each student in the program we provide
- Cost of enrollment fees and school materials
- School and PE uniforms in selected grades
- Regular monitoring of school grades
- Free medical care for the student and their immediate family at the Charlie Gomez Medical Clinic
- General educational support, including provision of tutoring classes to students in need, subject to staff assessment
- Support from a Mayan Families Social Worker, if needed
We encourage engagement between students and sponsors
One of the most rewarding aspects of sponsoring a student is getting to know students personally, and see firsthand how your generosity can positively affect the student's and their family’s lives. We will
- Send you updates on your student’s school progress
- Facilitate correspondence with your sponsored students through letter writing
- Invite you to travel to Guatemala and meet your student and their family
Meet some of our students
|Sponsored Student Success: Josefina's Story||Why Sponsor? Learn More About Our Program!|
How to get involved
While the Guatemalan school year runs from January through October, we accept support for school sponsorship throughout the year.
- To sponsor a student in Preschool through High School, the cost of one full year is $420 (that is just $1/day!) and you may choose to pay this on a monthly basis at $35/month.
- To sponsor a University student, the cost of one full year is $1,350 and you may choose to pay this on a monthly basis at $112.50/month.