Apart from donations, Mayan Families relies heavily on the time and skills of talented individuals who volunteer with us. Unlike many other charitable organizations, we do not charge our volunteers to come and work with us.
We are always looking for skilled people with a desire to work with a hands-on organization. Mayan Families is fortunate to have dedicated volunteers who play many important roles and contribute to the organization's success.
You can volunteer with us from anywhere in the world to:
- Organize fundraising house parties
- Translate between English and Spanish (documents and our website)
- Spread the word about Mayan Families (social media, speaking opportunities/presentations)
- Raise funds for our various projects through local events
- Web work (updates, postings, uploading photos, blogging, etc.)
If you would like to come and volunteer with us in Panajachel, Guatemala we are always on the lookout for the following types of volunteers:
- Carpenters and builders
- Information Technology specialists
- Education professionals to help with tutoring, ESL classes, and training and capacity building for our preschool teachers
- Fundraising and Marketing specialists
- Social Media / blogging specialists
- Medical and Dental professionals
- Administration personnel
You can find official volunteer listings through our Idealist profile by clicking here.
If you are interested in volunteering with us, please email download the Mayan Families Volunteer and Intern Application in English or Spanish. Send the completed form and your resume to email@example.com.
Please understand that Mayan Families cannot accept all volunteers, and we give preference to volunteers with at least an intermediate level of Spanish and a minimum commitment of two weeks. You must be 18 years or older in order to be considered as an individual volunteer.
Additionally, please be aware that Mayan Families cannot offer any type of compensation to volunteers for services provided. You are responsible for paying for any expenses incurred, such as traveling to and from Guatemala, living expenses, insurance, medical and personal expenses. However, we are happy to assist you with reservations for accommodations and transportation when possible.
Living in Panajachel
Rent: The cost of living in Panajachel is relatively low. We will be happy to help you find accommodation and make suggestions to you; however, you are responsible for finding your own dwelling.
Past volunteers have had the most success finding a place to stay once they are in Guatemala. Depending on the type of accommodation that you are seeking (furnished, unfurnished, sharing or not) you should expect to pay anywhere between $125.00-$600.00 USD a month.
Food: There is a vegetable and fruit market that sells affordable food for you to prepare yourself. On average, our past volunteers spent a minimum of $125.00 a month (if they prepared the food themselves). If you buy a lot of imported food or canned food, (e.g. peanut butter, cake mix, canned fruits, olive oil, Quinoa, etc.) you can expect to pay slightly higher prices than you would back home which will also increase your food expenses. If you anticipate going out to restaurants frequently you can easily double your expenses. A meal at a restaurant (depending on the restaurant quality) can range between US$2.50 - $20.
For additional information about volunteering with us:
- Read some of our past Volunteer Success Stories
- Read our Frequently Asked Questions, or
- Email our firstname.lastname@example.org